Shadows Rise On Aeomir
This page describes new backgrounds that are specific to the setting.
Initiate of The College
The invisible college is a refuge and center of learning for all arcane magic users. In particular it provide a refuge for human mages who have long been forbidden from practicing the art. It also provides refuge for
Emerald ceremonial robes of the order, a way-stone to one of the entrances to the
Feature: Initiate of The College
You start with 3 renown in The Invisible College faction. This marks you as an initiate.
- Knowledge You seek to understand the mysteries of this world.
- Power Above all you seek power so that the world might bend to your whim.
- Liberty You seek freedom in all things but particularly from the restrictions often placed on magic users.
- You have a beloved mentor how taught you nearly everything you know
- A fellow student who became one of your closest friends while studying/
- You view yourself as innately better then non-magic-users.
- You are power-hungry and are willing
- Years at the college have made you long-winded. You cannot give a short explanation to anything.
- The insular and bookish ways of the college have left you socially inept and shy.
- Encounters with mage-slayers have imbued in you a instinctive mistrust of elvish kind.
Escaped Ranock Slave
Member of the Trap-springer Clan
The most important aspect of dwarvish society is the principles of personal honor. What happens to a dwarf who has performed acts so ignoble (at least in the eyes of dwarvish society) to destroy all honor? Death is always an option but it leaves the debt of honor unpaid. The dwarfs name will be reviled and he can not hope for a peaceful afterlife. Further ,the stain of dishonor passes to his immediate family.
One of the ways a dishonored dwarf or dwarf clan may seek redemption is to take up the mantel of ‘trap-springer’. Trap-springers are not a clan in the truest sense of the word, few are blood related, but are given all the status of one within dwarven society. Trap-springers have one job, whenever exploring a new tunnel or cavern they will take the vanguard. Should they hear the twang of a trapped of a snapped trip-wire or the grind of a pressure plate slowly depressing they spring into action. They try to throw themselves in the way of any oncoming damage and protect their company from harm.
To die impaled on the spikes of a pit trap or crushed beneath a boulder while protecting others is the highest honor and immediately exonerates the dwarf and his family. To let another die to such a device? The trap-springer is irredeemable at that point.
Feature: Take One for The Team
Whenever a trap is sprung within 15’ of a trap-springer the trap-springer can automatically take the damage that would be dealt to another character. This most be done BEFORE a savings throw is made and it the trap-springer is treated as automatically failing the roll.